There was a news story linked on Hacker News this morning about how a yacht belonging to Billionaire Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen damaged a coral reef in the Cayman islands. It’s not really much of a story, but it led me down a wikipedia rabbit-hole of mega-yachts.
This is a picture of the yacht in question, the MV Tatoosh, 92m long
Tatoosh’s features include:
• Five decks;
• a master suite, a saloon and other rooms on the top deck;
• a saloon with a French limestone fireplace, a dining area, staterooms and a ladies’ powder room on the main deck;
• a shaded 6 feet (1.8 m) deep swimming pool with adjustable floor in depth, located aft on the main deck beneath a full overhang;
• a movie theater;
• facilities to transport two helicopters on the top two decks;
• custom 40 feet (12 m) power and sailboats
A limestone fireplace! That’s not even the biggest yacht Allen owns. Here’s the “Octopus”, 127m long
Some of Octopus main features are:
• an owner-exclusive deck (includes walk-in closet, study, outside bar with whirlpool)
• a glass bottom swimming pool
• a cinema
• a music recording studio
• a hangar for two helicopters
• a 10-person submarine
But here’s the thing. Octopus is not even in the top 15 biggest private yachts in the world. Keep clicking around wikipedia and you’ll eventually find a list of motor yachts by length - most of the biggest owned by middle eastern leaders / royalty.
If you ever wanted a quick visual of how filthy rich the richest people on earth are, there it is.